Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Chicken A La What?

Looking for something different to dish up tonight I was perplexed.  Looking through the cabinets and fridge got my gears rotating for ideas.  I thought about the chicken and dumplings that my mom used to make.  Great comfort food!  I was missing one key ingredient, chicken gravy.  So I made a kind of chicken pot pie mixture instead and steam the dumplings on top of the chicken pieces.  If anyone has the old-school Betty Crocker cookbook you can find the dumpling recipe in there.  It is not an Asian style dumpling, no filling involved.  It is a very easy to make light and fluffy doughball/biscuit type dumpling.  I first cooked some carrots, onions, corn, and zucchini in a high-sided saucepan.  Then I added the chicken and let that cook for a little.  Added some milk for a creamy pot-pie effect along with various seasonings and garlic, of course. Once the mixture had been boiling for a few minutes i added the dumpling dough on top.  Being that i love these so much I made a double batch.  In hindsight, probably not the greatest idea!  As the dumplings were cooking with the lid on they became higher than the sides of the pan!  It is ultra important for the lid to be kept on the dumplings for the last half of their cooking time as this is when they steam and puff up.  So I took two wooden spoons and wedged them under the lid so that the lid could stay on without touching the dumplings.  It looked like a heck of a contraption, but it worked!  Phew!
~ The Cooker Lady ~

No comments:

Post a Comment