Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Old Fashioned Swedish Meatballs w/ Rice

         Ironic I should share this meal as my first foodie post.  This is straight from my Irish grandma, yes the one who deemed me the "Good Cooker-Lady".  While I don't remember her specifically making this for me, I remember my mom making it and telling me that grandma made it all the time.  This is one of the simplest meals I've made which is why it's funny that I've been living on my own for about 2 years now and haven't made this dish yet.  The first thing i did was start cooking my rice.  I used to be a true follower of the minute rice...  red box, just add water and nuke it.  Until I had to pay for my own groceries!  Real rice in a bag is way cheaper than any boxed rice!  It is so easy to make, just take 1 part rice to 2 parts water, bring to a boil and then simmer until tender. This usually takes about 20 minutes, hence starting that first.  Back to the meatballs! Layer a non-stick pan with a little bit of olive oil and lots of onion flakes (this is the key to yumminess!) I use ground beef (85%) mixed with an egg, some oats and a little garlic powder.  Roll a bunch of meatballs small-ish in size and brown the crap out of them.  That browning is going to add the best flavor to the sauce.  Once they are nice and brown add 1 can of condensed cream of celery soup (or cream of mushroom if you prefer).  It does not have to be Campbell, as  a matter of fact I used store brand!!! Also add 1/2 the can worth of milk (fat free :) ) or water.  simmer it until the sauce is nice and thick and then put the meatballs over the tender rice!  Done!!!  Phew, I think it took longer to type than to cook it!  It's one of those meals that is great for winter time when you want something hot and hearty. It got a thumbs up from Fred!  Next time I may try it with super lean ground beef, or a blend of ground turkey and ground beef..  There is a can of cream of mushroom lurking in my cabinets waiting for the next time I feel like making that home-style meal :)   ~ The Cooker-Lady

No comments:

Post a Comment