Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Starting Things Off

            I figure a little background might be helpful to those reading.  I have been a professional baker for about 4 years now.  Attended Johnson & Wales from 2002-2006 and have been making sweet temptations ever since.  I have a knack for cooking as well.  I tend to be able to almost imagine the taste of the ingredients together before creating a meal, giving me an advantage.  My boyfriend, Fred, is a successful member of weight watchers (he has lost 64 lbs so far!) and so my cooking has changed somewhat over the last months to more healthy versions of yummy meals.  I struggled with making turkey meatballs and eating salad all the time until I learned to adjust the foods I was working with instead.  Buying canned foods with no salt added was a huge plus for me as well as figuring out how to use veggies in ways that they wouldn't be left as a "side" being  simply steamed and not really all that great tasting. I stopped drowning everything in butter and switched to using little bits of olive oil.  Started drinking fat free milk (something I vowed never to do!!!) and eating fat free sour cream and reduced-fat cheeses (another one of those things I snubbed at before).  But the results are worth it.. Making cheese-steak with reduced fat cheeses I would have never known the difference.  With the exception that I didn't get the tummy ache after eating.  Anyway thats the "Jerry" as my father would say. Signing off to post about dinner...  ~ The Cooker Lady

No comments:

Post a Comment